Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18, 2014: Surgery Gets Scheduled

Today I heard from Dr. A's office.  The tumor review board met this morning and my case was discussed (Dr. A. and Dr. M. were both present at the meeting).  The consensus was that I didn't need an MRI to proceed with the plan for a mastectomy.  So, surgery is scheduled for July 29 at the hospital where Dr. A. does most of her surgeries.  She also does them at a hospital much closer to home, but she specifically requested this particular hospital because they have a labor/delivery unit while the one closer to home does not.  This will ensure that staff will be available to check on the baby before, during, and after surgery. 

I'm glad things are moving along, but the thought of having to wait almost two more weeks for surgery is awful.  Once you know that you have something so terrible growing and multiplying and basically just ruining things inside your body, you want it out YESTERDAY. 

In other appointment scheduling news, my OB office has been trying all week to schedule me with the perinatologist.  Apparently, they run their practice like Fort Knox and it's almost impossible to get in there.  But, they had me listed as a "stat" patient, so after a lot of phone calls back and forth, I FINALLY got something scheduled for next Friday.  

Oh hey, Jeremy and I have a fun and exciting cruise coming up in two days!  But, even though my surgery isn't until the week after we'd return from the cruise, we decided to cancel due to several doctor appointments already scheduled for next week.  And guess who didn't find it necessary to take out trip insurance?!  For what it's worth, I actually looked into getting the insurance, and according to the fine print we'd only be reimbursed if one of us were actually hospitalized, so we figured the odds of that were very low. Ha! So today we called to cancel, and were told that we can "try" to get a partial refund by providing Carnival with some details about our situation.  Bon voyage to a week of relaxation...

No comments:

Post a Comment