Saturday, August 23, 2014

Giving Thanks

Before I move on to other topics, I need to take a moment to give some MAJOR thanks.

If there's anything this experience has taught me so far, it's that there are a lot of good people in the world. From the moment my family first found ourselves on this new path, people have been closing in on all sides to make sure that we had all the support that we needed (even if we didn't yet know just how much we'd need it).

I'm talking...
phone calls
texts
meals prepared by family/friends/strangers
handmade scarves
inspirational books
care packages
cards
flowers
good luck charms
gifts for Sweet Potato
prayers being said across a variety of religions
grocery and restaurant gift cards
donations to fundraising pages
and the list goes on...

Jeremy and I have always prided ourselves on being financially responsible and independent.  We live in a modest townhouse, have decent cars, excellent credit (I am very proud of this), we pay bills and credit cards on time, we stick to a weekly budget, we save up money for travel or emergencies, if we can't afford it we don't buy it, etc. etc.  We're not rich but we're also not stupid.

But then something nasty comes knocking on the door and demands to move in for a while.  Cancer is our new housemate, and doesn't seem to care that we have a baby on the way.  And last time I checked, cancer and babies ain't cheap!  

I've never been in a position like this, and it is very humbling to be okay with accepting help when it's offered.  I have a stubborn personality, and feel like I can take care of everything.  Like, I'm fine...I got it...let's talk about you now!  Heck, I make a living helping people deal with their own daily struggles and am just not used to the tables being turned so suddenly.

There are two special people who have recently set up fundraising pages, to help us deal with the inevitable medical bills that are slowly but surely starting to roll our way.  

My amazing mother-in-law, Debbie, who's pretty much the nicest and most selfless person you'll ever meet, created a page after being asked by her coworkers, friends, and family how they could help.  She has also helped us find some great nursery furniture and other items we need by scouring the internet and jumping on a good deal when she sees it. 
Debbie's FundRazr Page

My sweet friend from high school, Amanda, also created a donation page for people who wish to contribute.  Thank you, Amanda...hugs from afar! And come visit us again soon :)
Amanda's GoFundMe Page

My dear brother, Chris, along with help from my cousin Sam and the rest of our crazy awesome extended family up north, set up a joint checking account for my sister and I to use when we need it.  Chris has really stepped up to the plate and been the best big brother that Sherri and I could ever ask for.  So on behalf of myself and my sister, who is not schooled in the world of blogging, THANK YOU.

My parents, Phyllis and Bill, also deserve a HUGE shout out.  Imagine learning that your oldest daughter has cancer.  And imagine that your daughter's husband is getting ready to have open heart surgery.  Then imagine that one week later, your youngest daughter, who is expecting her first child, calls you up to tell you that she has cancer too.  Mom and dad have been doing an unbelievable job dividing their time and love among all of us sickies. But, they need support as well and I have to keep reminding them that it's okay if they need to take a break.  It's actually a necessity!  So if you know them, please take a moment to remind them how great they are. Because, well, they are :)

I am learning that it's okay to let others help.  But what do you say to all of this?  A simple thank you seems completely underwhelming.  So, my hope is to pay it forward someday when somebody else finds themselves in an unimaginable situation.  I will be there for you, cancer free, with bells on and a healthy baby in tow!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, Dee...tears rolling down my face. I love you, Jeremy and Sweet Potato so much and I'm so proud of our three peas in s pod!

    ReplyDelete