Sunday, August 24, 2014

Weekend Frenzy

Now that my first chemo was scheduled, I started thinking about the changes that will come with it:  hair loss, feeling like crap, and so on.  Then, I started thinking about the changes that pregnancy will bring:  a growing belly, feeling like crap, and so on.  So then, I started thinking about maternity pictures...you know, the cutesy pictures that you take when you have a beautiful pregnancy glow and perfect little bump?

Well, I had a hard time envisioning that scenario, since my body is beginning to feel so foreign to me.  Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind, considering all of the current BS and a self-esteem that has taken a beating.  But deep down, I knew that Jeremy and I would regret not having any pictures of this time in our lives, even though this chapter is turning out way different than we planned.

So, I decided to contact Root Photography, a husband and wife photography team based in Orlando that I've admired for years.  Seriously, years!  Looking at the calendar, there wasn't much time left to take pictures before my hair starts to fall out, so I knew it was a longshot that they'd have availability on such short notice.  Since Jeremy is back at work, the only time we could go is on a weekend, which is usually when photographers are busy with weddings and other big events.  But, I sent the Roots an email anyway, figuring it was worth a shot.

Lo and behold, someone else had the same idea.  The Roots responded right away, and told me that by some stroke of luck, another person (who wishes to remain anonymous), had just contacted them and told them about our situation.  So, someone out there had the same idea, at the same time, and contacted the same photographers.  We hadn't told ANYONE about this.  What??!! The Roots then informed us that a maternity session was already paid for...all we had to do was pick a date.  Again....what??!!

Long story short, I emailed the Roots back on Friday, 8/22, and we decided that the next day would work best for everyone.  Thus began a 24-hour frenzy of finding something to wear, getting a haircut, and deciding whether or not to stay overnight or drive back home after the session.  

Jeremy's birthday is coming up on September 2nd, so as his early gift, my parents arranged for us to stay overnight at the Swan and Dolphin hotel at Disney.  We turned this into a bit of a weekend birthday celebration, and it was nice to feel relatively normal for a change. We even got a random free upgrade to a balcony room that overlooks Hollywood Studios and had a great view of the fireworks that night. (Thanks again, mom and dad...xoxo)





Saturday morning, I made a last-minute appointment for a haircut, at my usual place in town. We met my parents and mother-in-law for coffee, dropped Charley off for an overnight "staycation," and headed to Orlando.  After checking in at our hotel, I had the bright idea to find a salon about 10 minutes away that offers make-up services.  I don't wear much makeup normally, so I thought it'd be nice to have it done professionally and do a little something to make me feel good about myself.  

I told the woman that I wanted a very natural, clean look.  Here's when I learned that sometimes I trust people way more than I should.  An hour later, I left this place looking like a cross between Snooki, an oompa loompa, and a creepy adult contestant on Toddlers and Tiaras.  NO JOKE.  I was tinted orange from the chest up.  And it was pouring rain outside.  I called Jeremy, who was relaxing at the hotel, and told him to prepare himself for the frazzled, hangry (hungry+angry=hangry) whirlwind that was about the enter the room.  I had about 20 minutes to scrub my face down, reapply makeup in an attempt to look halfway NORMAL, fix my rain-soaked hair, and head to our photo shoot.  I spent the car ride continuing to wipe remnants of orange paste from my neck and ears while Jeremy fed me handfuls of cashews.

We met up with the Roots in downtown Celebration.  They were so friendly and welcoming that from there on out, I began to relax and tried to enjoy the moment.  It was a super hot and humid afternoon; I only lasted about 10 minutes before I had to put my hair up due to the sweltering post-thunderstorm heat.  We'll laugh about this later!  I felt a little strange that I didn't yet have a full baby bump to show off, so we joked that I was posing with a food baby.  We spent an hour taking shots all around town, and then it was time to say goodbye to our new friends. THANK YOU NATHAN AND JENSEY!!  And, sincere thanks to the anonymous person who helped make this happen for us.  Yet again, I've been left speechless.

Jeremy and I headed back to the hotel and got a bite to eat.  We walked around the Boardwalk area and found a bench swing on the beach, looking across the water to the place where we had our wedding reception almost 7 years ago.  So of course, the tears started rolling, followed by Jeremy giving me a pep talk that someday we'll come back here and show our baby boy one of our favorite places.  He's the best <3

Sunday morning we stopped by to visit some good friends for lunch, who we don't get to see very often.  They have the cutest little boy, and as honorary Aunt and Uncle, we make it a point whenever we see him to bring him the most obnoxious gift we can find. Last time it was one of those Fisher Price push-toys that makes an ungodly popping noise when you push it.  Today he got a Disney cookie covered in blue frosting that may or may not have permanently stained his teeth and fingers.  You're welcome, B! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment